Monday, April 15, 2013

My Last Seven Years by the Numbers


During my recent bout of illness (nasty cold that lasted 6 days), I spent a lot of time thinking about my life, especially the last 7 years, since it has now been 7 years since Jeff passed away.  A lot of numbers turned up.

I've lived at:

6 addresses
5 cities

I've had:

6 phone numbers
5 jobs
2 beloved pets die
2 deadbeat boyfriends
many deadbeat friends

I've lost:

most of my possessions
many deadbeat friends
all of my money
contact with a few good friends

But!  In that same amount of time, I've accomplished the following:

Completed one book (Oops! You're Dead)
Won National Novel Writing Month (wrote 50,000 words in 1 month)
Started a blog, then started it again
Wrote some poetry
Learned how to budget and live within my means and I'm paying off my debts
Learned how to cook healthy meals
Started exercising on a regular basis
Learned how to replace prozack with gratefuls
Found one excellent boyfriend (we have our 5 year anniversary in July!)
Maintained more solid friendships than most people have in a lifetime
Completed an Advanced Writers Workshop and started a new career as a writer
Got my software development career back on track (this is how I earn my living, the writing is what I do for joy)
Found contentment

So I enter this new phase this Spring with a light heart and a lot of hope.  I will have to find a new job in 4 months (this is a contract position), but other than that, my life has stabalized. I'm home, among those I love, in an exciting place where lots of exciting people live and lots of exciting things are going on all the time.

I'm very thrilled about the prospect of what I can do in the next few years if I'm not spending energy in crisis.  If I can accomplish all this with all the craziness of the last 7 years, just think what I can do using that energy for new, creative and exciting endeavours!

Here's to the future, and living life to the fullest.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that's an amazing journey you've been on, both good and bad. sounds like the positive out way the negative this time, and I'm glad I'm apart of this journey. I'm very glad the book won, you became an awesome writer, learn how to stabalize your life, have someone fluffy to hold(not the bd), staying fit, and have a wonderful man to be apart and witness this. Love in the spring air, keep going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moral of your adventure is it works if you keep it moving

    ReplyDelete