Friday, December 9, 2011

Don't Mind the Mule - Business Advice that works

"Don't Mind the Mule, Load the Wagon."  Frank Culberson

Thirteen years ago my father-in-law passed away.  There was a huge blackout in all Northern California making the whole day very Bergman-esque -- but that's another story for another day.  Everything I know about succeeding in business I learned from Frank -- or from my husband, who learned it from Frank.  He grew up in the depression, enlisted in WWII underage (it was easier to lie back then) and made it to D Day and the Battle of the Bulge (he also taught me how to tell if someone is lying about whether they were in the Battle of the Bulge or not.  This is not a skill I expect to use, but evidently a lot of claims were being made after the war).

Frank had lots of great sayings and was generous with his advice.  I met him in my early 30s and drank it all in.  We had a great rapport, as he was fond of saying, and I was a new audience for his many stories and his advice.  He learned about business the hard way and was a pioneer in New York City, going where no one of his race had gone before.  He rose as far in his business as was possible and retired a well-respected man.  Oh, have i mentioned that I loved him dearly?

So, in honor of Frank, some of his most memorable business advice to me:

"They don't care how you feel.  If you feel sick, show up and shut up about it."

"Never put pictures of your family on your desk.  Never easily give people a reason to dislike you."

"You haven't been in the job long enough to understand the politics of the place to make a decision.  Stay put, shut up, and keep your eyes and ears open." (This was when a job position came open in my business unit that I thought I could perform.  I had been on the job 6 months and wanted to apply, but thought I should ask my husband.  He wasn't home, so I called Frank.  I never, never, never would have been considered for the position and would have looked like an idiot for applying.  That was the last time I questioned any of his advice.)

"Every day when I leave work, I hock and spit the workplace out on the sidewalk, shake the dust off my shoes.  Shake the place off before I go home.  Then I pat myself on the back.  I know I did a good job, and I know I can't expect anyone else to pat me on the back, so I do it myself.  Then I go get a drink."

"Don't mind the mule, load the wagon.  Don't pay attention to what management is doing.  It's not your business.  You have work to do, so keep your head down and make sure that what you are responsible for is done perfectly."

Rest in Peace, Mr. Frank.




No comments:

Post a Comment