Wednesday, December 7, 2011

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I started this round of job searching, I vowed that I would stay off the emotional merry-to-round that drove me to the brink last time.  I reworked every cover letter and invested energy in every resume sent out.  At 15 resumes a week average, that's a lot of energy going out!  Then I'd talk to a recruiter and pull out my bright and smart employable TC to chat brilliantly on the phone.  After talking to the recruiter and being submitted for a job, I would go to CraigsList and start hunting for available houses in Alameda.  I examined each one and thought, "Could I live here?  What would making dinner be like in that kitchen?  Can I really afford that much rent?"  More energy leaking out.  And none coming back.  No calls back from recruiters, nothing.

So with this new round, the question is:  How do I maintain enough enthusiasm to keep sending out resumes without draining myself?  I'm still working on it, but have created a couple of New Rules to help me through. 

First, cut out looking at Criagslist for housing.  Jobs, yes, housing, no. No looking for available houses to rent until my 2nd interview.  That ought to free up a whole bunch of energy right there.  To be honest, there's an added extra bonus, because my bf offered to do the initial searching.  He, being smart, thought he'd wait until I got an actual job offer before starting the search.  Me, being emotionally drained and stressed out, was getting angry at him because he said he would do this part, and I was spending hours of time looking through the listings so we would be ready to jump when the job offer came through (which I have yet to have an interview).  OK, I am not proud of this.  However, the bonus is that I'll be less angry with him for, er, no reason.  Extra bonus points for having a bf who will not be angry at me because I'm angry at him for, er, no reason.

Second, understand that this is purely a numbers game and don't get invested in every resume I send.  Still tailor the cover letter, but do it as a writing exercise, not an emotional connection.

Third, let go of the idea that I'll have a job by Thanksgiving, or Christmas, or even July.  It will happen when it happens.  I will continue to do the work, just leave my emotions out of it.  

At least until I get a job interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment