Thursday, December 29, 2011

Adopt a Soldier

It may seem odd that a confirmed pacificst such as myself has joined http://www.soldiersangels.org/.  But I never had any issues with those who have taken up arms -- just confirmed in my belief to never to it myself.  My company solicited donations to send to soldiers over seas and I thought it was a great idea -- easy to pick up some stuff on my Costco run.

I got some of the huge size shampoo and conditioner (realizing later that for a solider's only have, what 1/2 inch of hair so I supplied them with roughly a 10 year supply) and some lotion, tossed in a few ziplog bag boxes and toothbrushes (all off the list supplied on the website).  Then I started reading through the web site.  Solders Angels was started by one woman whose sons were in Iraq and came home with stories of fellow soldiers whose isolation and lonliness was compounded by the fact that they received no mail.  So she enlisted friends to write a letter a week to an enlisted soldier, and less than 10 years later, there's a thriving 501(c) organization that is dedicated to the slogan "no solider goes unloved."  Good, right?

I've been thinking for a while that I need to start giving back and have been looking for the appropriate venue.  This seems like a great fit for me -- I love writing and doing nice things for people.  I've committed to writing one letter a week and sending one care package a month.  I remember my first year in college where I received no letters and how isolating it was (and I was just 60 miles from home and not getting shot at) so I can begin to understand how much hearing your name at mailcall could mean.

Also, I see it as a way to honor my late father-in-law Frank, who is buried in Arlington due to his WWII service.  He was the first soldier I knew personally and I know he's be proud that I am doing this.

I've sent my 1st card, written my 1st letter and done my 1st Costco run (package to be put toghther tonight).  I've put my soldier in my budget and am planning strategies of what to write every week. I figure if I get stuck, I can always write stories about Frank.

The interesting thing is that they say you can't expect to hear from your soldier.  The are, after all, busy.  So I'm preparing to have a one-sided conversation with a guy somewhere on the other side of the world.  Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment