Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Motto: It's About the Journey!

So here's my motto for 2012:  If you're not enjoying yourself, you're doing something wrong.  Life is about the journey.

A few years ago, I started adopting mottoes instead of making resolutions.  So instead of a list of things I could beat myself up about for not completing, I have a guiding light to follow.

Last year it was Get Healthy.  I embarked on making changes toward a sustainable, healthy lifestyle.  Not a quick-fix diet, but long-term healthy habits.  Last year at this time, it was exhausting to do almost everything and a two-block walk seemed adventurous.  Today I work out with a trainer a couple of times a week.  I've missed sessions (sometimes whole weeks) but I am still going and can really see the difference in my body and my energy level.  I'm started wearing a pedometer.  When I first started in May, my goal was 1500 steps a day, and I was happy to hit it most days.  My current goal is 4000 steps a day for the next month, and increasing from there.  I've been wanting to do the Bay to Breakers for years and years, and for the first time, it seems like it's within the realm of possibility!  I can start with the 2-mile/day foundation and work up over the next 5 months so I can do the whole 9 miles in May!

My 1st motto 3 years ago was No More Drama.  The corollary was:  No drama means taking care of yourself - up front every day, all the time.  It worked really, really well!  By taking care of myself (simple things like making sure my meds were refilled on time and always having healthy food in the house), a lot of the drama that had been swirling around me for years dropped away, leaving me time and energy to work on improving my life.


So this year's motto is about not stressing myself out and enjoying the process.  In the past (I'm already moving forward!) I would put a lot of pressure on myself and end up not enjoying my life.  From the job search to having a few folks over for dinner, I would stress out.  So this year (and I made an excellent start with my Holiday/Birthday party), if I'm stressing out, then I need to change what I'm doing. This year, it's all about the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment