Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction." Will Rogers

So what's with the guessing game regarding rates for consulting jobs?  During my last job search, rates were  stated up front.  Now, I think there's must be some new incentive to place me at the lowest rate possible.  I've had more than a couple of recruiters balk when I ask what the rate is.  Seriously?  I know the rate is included with the job description, so why are they so reluctant to share that information?  These are consulting jobs, so it's not like a high level of job satisfaction over time will compensate for a lower rate as it might in a permanent position.  The only trade-off in consulting is money for time and expertise.

This rant comes because yesterday I had a recruiter really torf me off.  First she tells me I need to re-vamp my resume before she can submit it. While this is fairly common these days (I seem to have to change my resume for each new recruiter, and sometimes each new job), she had not quoted a rate.   Earlier yesterday I had a long conversation with another recruiter about a job that sounded like a lot of fun, but turned out to be $10/hr under the low end of my scale.  So I'm flinchy about spending time on a job that is going to be nowhere near my range.

I ask the recruiter if the job was within a range, and gave her $15/hr leaway.   This was her response:  "The rate is determined bythe candidate's experience as it pertains to the required skills/needs of the client.  So without having a conversation with you, and going over everything and determining if you are qualified for the position, I could not quote you a rate.  I hope this answers your question."

Seriously???  OK, first, no, that doesn't answer my question.  Second, you contacted me .  Why did you contact me if you hadn't at least glanced at my resume to determine if I was qualified?

Luckily, there are hundreds of other recruiters out there to work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment