Thursday, January 5, 2012

“I can’t go back to yesterday – because I was a different person then” Lewis Carroll

After taking some time off of the job search in December, I've emerged with a new strategy for the New Year.  After bowing to the signs from God that I was not on the right path (ok, after the emotional equivalent of getting hit in the head by a 2x4), I changed up my resume to focus on what I actually want to do instead of what I thought would get me out of my current job the fastest.  That's the AHA moment -- I can get a job doing something I really enjoy.  Hmmm.

So Business Systems Analyst it is!  On the Monday after New Year's, I re-purposed my resume, using the one I used to get my current job as a guide.  I figured that resume got me a lot of interviews, so maybe I did something right with it.  That took all day (my computer crashed in the middle of a particularly creative spell and I lost a lot of time). 

Moving forward, I posted the new resume and updated my profiles on Dice, LinkedIn, and CyberCodeers.  I'm scheduled to complete Career Builders, Hynes & Company, Tek Systems, Strategic Staffing Solutions and a few others over the weekend.  I contacted the recruiters who have worked with me in the past and gave them the new information.  This weekend I will start sending out actual applications.

It worked!  I've got new interest from recruiters and I'm not getting overly spun up about it.  I am very encouraged, and there are lots and lots of BSA positions out there, so the perfect one is waiting for me.

My original plan was to take every Monday off until I run out of PTO, but I've accomplished a lot this week in the mornings, and want to save my PTO for possible job interviews.  Keeping optimistic....

No comments:

Post a Comment