Sunday, January 15, 2012

Stop Digging - Kaiser this means you.

“When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.” – Will Rogers

I've decided to stop sending resumes to Kaiser.  I've applied for around 20 jobs of various kinds and have heard NOTHING.  There's only one recruiter who even had the courtesy to call me to tell me I wasn't selected (Shira, you Rock!).  It's enticing, wanting to work for one of the largest employers in the Bay Area.  There's the theory that if you get your foot in the consulting door, you could work for them for a long time.  There's the stability (most of their jobs are 1-2 year gigs).

Then, there's the downsides.  Their jobs are only available through recruiters.  For every, single job, the recruiter wants me to re-work my resume to tailor it to the specific language of the job posting.  Most of the recruiters claim to have exclusive claim to the position, but then I get calls from other recruiters who've found my resume on Dice and pitch the same job.  For every single requisition number, you have to fill out an exclusive permission form and fax it back to the recruiter (which I have to do at work because I no longer have a fax machine at home since I gave up my landline).  They pay $5-10/hr less than other companies for similar positions.

But the biggest downside is that after all this work, I have not received one interview.  I have come to the conclusion that there is something in my resume that excludes me from Kaiser's wanted list.  There are lots of other jobs out there.  I'm going to quit spending my time digging this hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment