Monday, January 30, 2012

4 Words that Strike Terror: Apply on Company Website

Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.  Napoleon Hill

One huge drawback to automation is that each company doing its own recruiting wants you to enter your information into their system.  I don't mind giving them my info, of course, but it really gripes me that I spent hours and hours on my resume only to have to hand enter all the information again into each company's HR system.  OK, not hand enter entirely, because I can cut and paste huge swaths of data from my resume which already has the information, but still.  It can easily take 20 minutes to go through 1 company's HR software, repeating information that is already available in my resume.

All of this BEFORE the possibility of an interview!  It's ridiculous!  I wouldn't mind this tedious task AFTER an interview, when there is an actual possibility of a job, but before the interview is just too tedious for words.  I've gotten to the point where I almost never apply when I see a company website because there are so many jobs on Dice and LinkedIn that do not require going through all those hoops again and again and again.  It's just because the HR team is lazy and doesn't want to have to follow up.  There is no reason that I should give anyone my references until I've had a 1st interview.  There's also no reason to re-create my resume in 5 or 6 different formats every day.


And as long as I'm ranting, those extraction programs need a lot of work.  Maybe I should find the company that sells that POC and offer to upgrade their system.  I give them my resume and they put the information in odd places and I have to just cut and paste it all again anyway into the correct fields.  I keep using it on the off chance that the system may actually work at some time.


What this does is quash creativity.  Your resume must be created in their format, or it causes you no end of trouble.  If your work history is slightly interesting or, in my case, you took a couple of years off for personal reasons, watch out!  Those systems have no way of processing anything other than strict conformity.   What used to set me apart, an interesting, creative resume, is now a liability because I have to enter it into so many HR systems it is turning into a time drain.


*Sigh*  Now that that's out of my system, time to go apply!





No comments:

Post a Comment